Thursday, August 25, 2011

Love

I am a sappy fool.

That's not a bad statement.  I think we as a society look too harshly on the fools in our world.  I don't think I'm an idiot, per se, just that I tend to behave and think in ways that are foolish when it comes to romance.  I toy with thoughts that are outright dumb, knowing fully well that they are dumb, and in the right moment of passion am prone to falling for them.  Sometimes I might fall for them even as I think completely and rationally about my choices, knowing it's probably not the best for my sanity or my life.  I make them because even as they are excessively foolish, they are also brilliant.

I adore romance, but not the too-serious kind.  To me the world of the heart should never be taken with too much gravitas, because such strong feelings can only be countered by a whimsical joy that pervades it.  You have to know that what you're writing, thinking, or doing is sappy, that there's a silliness to it, or the game is ruined.  To ignore the silliness in love is to risk disaster.

At least that's my take on things.  I think I've been hiding that romantic side in me for too long, not really expressing it to the world.  I've been burned many times, leaping too far or making too foolish a move at just the wrong moment, but I think in the end it was worth it.

Love, ultimately, has always been worth it.

(And no, I'm not changing my facebook status anytime soon.  I just had a long talk tonight that really put things in perspective for me.  It was good.)

No comments:

Post a Comment